10.17.2009

inspiration....

ODE TO THE BABIES
you don't get the glue--
i know that you think you do,
but you don't get the glue!
you don't get the scissors, glitter or paint
anytime you get near them,
i just about faint.
you don't get the papers pushed 5 feet away,
the computer, the mouse--
why can't you just lay?
don't climb on the piano, we don't think it's funny.
the front door is off-limits, even if it is sunny.
don't open the trash,--or the pantry or fridge.
just don't open anything with doors or with lids!
you don't get the barstools, the counter or sink.
there will be no more climbing!
(no matter what you think.)
and as for 'no-mores', there's a long list for that:
no chair-pushing, food throwing, or hitting with bats.
no more playing in toilet water,
or pulling out books.
no getting into mischief, and then giving me cute looks!
no pulling out drawers
and empyting what's inside.
there are no more places to put things to hide!
yes, i know how one kid can cause lots of trouble,
but destruction comes sooner because now there's double.
i finally nab one of them running around,
but how to keep the other one stuck to the ground?
i will have to admit that the boys can be funny,
but at times they do cost me much more than just money.
my sanity is slowly slipping away--
so please don't touch anything...
at least for one day!
kim boyce
*this poem is dedicated to caleb and adam who try my patience on a way-more-frequently-basis than hourly. no one was harmed during the months of inspiration for this poem, and all information is factual.

6 comments:

Diagnose Rachel said...

Kim

i love your writting! wish i lived closer so i could hear your whit every day. Babi should be proud, the Zmolek creativity is strong with you.

my back is throbing from chasing mark away from the closet i was emptying. can't he see i was finally working? as i type, i'm laying on an ice pack. i would not be here if it wasn't for little hands and feet.

thank you for a smile!
can i post it on my site, with your name in big, purple italics, my talented cousin? or it could be blue. I can't remember your favorite color. wish i could promise glitter!

Melissa Rozeski said...

Very cute! I can only imagine life with twins, but I know why I wasn't given two-at-a-time. You on the other hand have the patience---even though it might be running thin at times. Keep up the good work!

The Adams Family said...

Nice poem. It reminds me of my youth, and trips to Dairy Queen...

Unknown said...

looks like TOFW is coming at the best time possible!!!

KATIE said...

Very clever Kim...and one more thing to the list of making me wonder if I ever want kids...but first a husband.

Alisa said...

That is fabulous! I think I will just have to print it out and keep it. You're a great writer! Not to mention a survivor (twin toddlers! yikes!) You are awesome!